Thread: Cruel Seas

Super Moderator

Cruel Seas

I will be getting a trial game of this the first week back to the club after the new year. I have been hearing good things about it, and the minis do look good, at 1/300 they are big enough to see on the table ( I did play 1/1200 once and had a bit of a job telling the difference between ships ) while still meaning you can play on a smallish table without feeling crowded.

The basic box comes with the rules and 10 ships. 6 British, 3 each of 2 different types of MTB. and 4 German 2 each of 2 different types of E-boat. Warlord say that with just basic forces you can play a game in about 45 minutes.

www.cruel-seas.com

I will post up an impression after the game.
    Always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor never the tormented.

Elie Wiesel.

Nobel Laureate and Holocaust survivor

I took a look at the site....mate, those look pretty spectacular, but man-o-man, the scale!? This puppies are HUGE! Looking at a battleship for instance, that appears to my eyes to be nearly six time bigger than Axis & Allies War at Sea miniatures? That would make a mighty big playing top, no?

Name:  973688_md-.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  60.0 KB

Anyway, that doesn't stop me from *wanting* it, but Derek already set me on an evil path of Team Yankee and Tanks acquisition

Great looking system....I can't wait to hear more!!!

Name:  789910004_Cruel_Seas_Starter_Set_and_Special_Miniature.jpg
Views: 23
Size:  89.5 KB

Name:  781510001-Cruel-Seas-Starter-Set-00.jpg
Size:  92.8 KB

Name:  781510001-Cruel-Seas-Starter-Set-02.jpg
Views: 22
Size:  90.6 KB

Name:  British_Vospers_assembly_web.jpg
Size:  99.2 KB

Name:  781510001-Cruel-Seas-Starter-Set-01.jpg
Views: 22
Size:  82.9 KB

Name:  781510001-Cruel-Seas-Starter-Set-03.jpg
Size:  85.0 KB
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking." - George S. Patton.

Super Moderator
    Thanks for putting up the pics Em.
    Always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor never the tormented.

Elie Wiesel.

Super Moderator
    I really enjoyed my trial game. We played the first scenario in the book, 2 mtb`s and 1 S boat returning home after a mission starting i opposite corners of a 4 x 4 table, having to get off the oposite corner or sink the enemy. We played with 2 x the ships with me playing German.

Each boat gets a stat card with weapons, hull points and stats on and you get pop out sliders that fit on the top and bottom of the card to denote damage. It is a good simple idea but I am not sure how they would stand up to many games but you could probably find clips to replace them.

The game uses the Bolt Action dice draw system to see who gets to activate 1 boat.

Speed is shown by a Wake Marker with 3 speeds on it, you just place the relevent speed band at the stern. This works very well and also looks good.

Movement has 3 range bands for each specific boat, you can change speed but only by 1 band per turn. Movement is in cm`s not inch`s which really throws you out when you are used to inch`s.

Shooting is affected by shooters speed, targets speed, targets size and being over half range. My first shot with modifiers for speed and range needed a 1 on a d10 to hit, needless to say I missed. Next dice drawn was Andy`s, he was able to move in closer and needed a 3 on a d10 to hit. The difference in the 2 amounts because he did not get an aim penalty for shooting at a smaller boat like I did, also I was moving at the middle speed band, Combat Speed so there was no penalty for that.

You can turn but only after you have moved 1/3 of your total available speed, you then can make a 45% turn. I never found out if you can turn again after another 1/3 as that did not come up and I was too busy trying to get my head round what was happening to ask about things that were not.

Ramming in this can be deadly, though only veteran crew are allowed to ram on purpose, but accidents can happen, and did, I completely misjudged the metric measurement and turn criterior and just plaughed through an MTB, leaving it barely afloat and both of us with rudder damage which meant that the next activation we would have to move the lowest speed straight ahead and then, on a d3 would turn to left, right, or stay on course. Unfortunately Andy`s damage caused him to ram one of his own ships. I really did try to keep a straight face as I apologised for that, but, to be honest don`t think I managed it

We both limped into port with half the ships we started with and a narrow victory, 4/3 to me.

I do think this is a good game, but, money is a bit tight at the moment otherwise I would seriously consider starting this.

Elie Wiesel.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank View Post
    I really enjoyed my trial game. We played the first scenario in the book, 2 mtb`s and 1 S boat returning home after a mission starting i opposite corners of a 4 x 4 table, having to get off the oposite corner or sink the enemy. We played with 2 x the ships with me playing German.

Each boat gets a stat card with weapons, hull points and stats on and you get pop out sliders that fit on the top and bottom of the card to denote damage. It is a good simple idea but I am not sure how they would stand up to many games but you could probably find clips to replace them.

The game uses the Bolt Action dice draw system to see who gets to activate 1 boat.
    I can't really picture the stat card with pop-out sliders...are they imbebbed in the card itself, and pull out?

Speed is shown by a Wake Marker with 3 speeds on it, you just place the relevent speed band at the stern. This works very well and also looks good.

Movement has 3 range bands for each specific boat, you can change speed but only by 1 band per turn. Movement is in cm`s not inch`s which really throws you out when you are used to inch`s.
    Now that IS cool! I love that idea, and I can totally see how it add's to the visual effect of the game. Is it this...

Name:  785012006-Cruel-Seas-IJN-T-14-class-MTB-cards.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  78.6 KB

Shooting is affected by shooters speed, targets speed, targets size and being over half range. My first shot with modifiers for speed and range needed a 1 on a d10 to hit, needless to say I missed. Next dice drawn was Andy`s, he was able to move in closer and needed a 3 on a d10 to hit. The difference in the 2 amounts because he did not get an aim penalty for shooting at a smaller boat like I did, also I was moving at the middle speed band, Combat Speed so there was no penalty for that.
    Now this makes the most sense, opposed to many sea games I've seen. I love this mechanic!

You can turn but only after you have moved 1/3 of your total available speed, you then can make a 45% turn. I never found out if you can turn again after another 1/3 as that did not come up and I was too busy trying to get my head round what was happening to ask about things that were not.

Ramming in this can be deadly, though only veteran crew are allowed to ram on purpose, but accidents can happen, and did, I completely misjudged the metric measurement and turn criterior and just plaughed through an MTB, leaving it barely afloat and both of us with rudder damage which meant that the next activation we would have to move the lowest speed straight ahead and then, on a d3 would turn to left, right, or stay on course. Unfortunately Andy`s damage caused him to ram one of his own ships. I really did try to keep a straight face as I apologised for that, but, to be honest don`t think I managed it

We both limped into port with half the ships we started with and a narrow victory, 4/3 to me.

I do think this is a good game, but, money is a bit tight at the moment otherwise I would seriously consider starting this.
    That's one of the more interesting happening I've seen in a wargame in a long time ...remind me not to go sailing with you guys!!!
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking." - George S. Patton.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiterook View Post
    I can't really picture the stat card with pop-out sliders...are they imbebbed in the card itself, and pull out?

Now that IS cool! I love that idea, and I can totally see how it add's to the visual effect of the game. Is it this...

Name:  785012006-Cruel-Seas-IJN-T-14-class-MTB-cards.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  78.6 KB
    Yeah, that is the wake marker.

Also in the pic to the left of the wake marker is the stat card with the speed band showing, combat 20mm, full 30mm and so on. Also the top view shows the position, firing arc and stats for guns,

The row of numbers along the top and bottom are the hull points with tens at the bottom of the card and single digit at the top. The sliding markers are rectangles of card with a U shape cut in them, the part inside the cut pushes over the back of the stat card while the main part is at the front with the cut-out going round the number. As I originally said, it does work quite well but I don`t think they would last too long before they lose their shape and the cut-out just does not hold them on the card.

Elie Wiesel.

...Also in the pic to the left of the wake marker is the stat card with the speed band showing, combat 20mm, full 30mm and so on. Also the top view shows the position, firing arc and stats for guns,
    I hadn't noticed that...thanks for the explanation!

The row of numbers along the top and bottom are the hull points with tens at the bottom of the card and single digit at the top. The sliding markers are rectangles of card with a U shape cut in them, the part inside the cut pushes over the back of the stat card while the main part is at the front with the cut-out going round the number. As I originally said, it does work quite well but I don`t think they would last too long before they lose their shape and the cut-out just does not hold them on the card.
    Hmmmm....I wonder if they would have been better off to go with a plastic clip made to the same specs? Paper tends to be more course, and prone to catching and rubbing, rather than plastic (my educated guess, anyway).

I wonder, if you were to put a cad sleeve protector on each card, might that help with longevity?

I've invested some into the game, I have the starter set, the Italian set, U.S. PT boats, a spare set of German S-boats. I found a Tamiya Fletcher class destroyer and an Italian cruiser on sale.

Super Moderator
    That sounds like a really good start. It is a very good game, I hope you enjoy it.

Elie Wiesel.