Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

WoI campaign game 5: Melee!

Weeks pass, and the Dioses Enojados movement is still licking its wounds after the fierce Dia de Batalla (Day of Battle) that was games 2 through 4, fought in one day against both the LGC militia and the president's masistas. The DE is feeling its heavy losses, but it has also matured and sharpened.

In fact, in these weeks a new training program has been launched by the DE leaders. The political scheme I've chosen for game 5 is "intense military training," which allows me to finally have more than one trained unit in a game. That's especially great since I lost my only fighting vehicle in game 4.

Just in time, too. Because my opponent for this game is the Phillipstown Defense Force (PDF) that kicked my butt so hard in game 1. They're one of the most highly trained factions in the campaign. And this time they're coming to my home turf, looking for trouble!

Which makes me really glad that my permanent institution is a spy network. That negates any political scheme the PDF might have. In this game, they would've had a strong-willed leader, but my spies figured out how to get into his head so that he won't be a factor.

My force still won't be nearly as well trained as the PDF, but I have that much better chance at this now.

I also learned my lesson in game 4 and won't be messing with Neil Thomas's perfectly good scenarios in his One-Hour Wargames book. This one is called Melee.

The scenario
    The table will again have a hill, a patch of woods, and a road (this is getting old and I hope I roll up something different soon). In this scenario, I already have control of the hill, because this is DE territory. The game will start with 2 of my units on the hill and no PDF on the table.

Reinforcement arrivals:
    Turn 1: 3 PDF from south on road
    Turn 3: 2 DE from north on road
    Turn 4: 3 PDF from south on road
    Turn 6: 2 DE from west, north of hill

PDF may not move within 6" of north edge.

Game lasts 15 turns. DE has initiative each turn (we know the territory).

Objective points: 1 for each kill, 5 for killing a leader, 10 for controlling the hill

Order of battle
    DE:
    3 infantry teams with small arms (militia quality)
    1 mortar team (regular quality)
    1 infantry team with LMG (militia)
    1 infantry team with RPG (regular)

PDF:
    4 infantry teams with small arms (1 professional, 1 regular, 1 militia)
    1 mortar team (professional)
    1 armored car + HMG + driver + gunner (regular)

I remember my biggest mistake against the PDF in game 1 was protecting my LMG gunner for later use, when I should've used him against the professionally trained team. This time I need to take some risks and bring strength against strength, if I want to have a chance at getting any victory points with at least a minor defeat.

Since we have no vehicle in this game, my side will outnumber the enemy for the first time in terms of manpower. That might help, too. Finally, it will be my quantity versus their quality.

Name:  20190207_190012.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  90.9 KB
    My guys on the left, theirs on the right.

My trained mortar and RPG teams set up on the hill with a great view of the road. They're ready to blast whatever comes along.

Name:  20190207_220838.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  93.5 KB

Today I finally made some small activation markers/blinds out of cardboard to replace the kids' playing cards I've been using. These take up less table space, look nicer, and are easier to grab and flip over.

The game begins! The first 2 enemy units to enter on the road were the open scout car and the militia-level half-squad it's carrying. The woods interfered with my mortar shot, and as they moved past the woods, the enemies started firing their weapons before my anti-tank soldier was ready to fire. They hit one of my guys, even though he was hunkered down, and then my RPG shot missed. End turn 1.

Name:  20190209_113059.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  89.0 KB
    Last edited by josta59; 02-09-2019 at 12:40 PM.

High ground is almost always, a very good thing!

This is one of the coolest campaign games I've followed...the story-telling aspect certainly puts it a cut above. In all forums, there is the tendency to just give highlights. This story has depth, which I very much appreciate (...it takes more time and effort, but the rewards to those following along are far greater!).

Interesting on the LMG exampled: I've suffered the same instance more times in my early experiences than I'd like to admit. If I may confess...it is one of the reasons I now have a "Loose Cannon" penchant that far too often, get's me in trouble

Following with interest!
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking." - George S. Patton.

Quote Originally Posted by josta59 View Post
    Today I finally made some small activation markers/blinds out of cardboard to replace the kids' playing cards I've been using. These take up less table space, look nicer, and are easier to grab and flip over.
    As an aside to members reading and following along: The Proving Grounds zone is a great place to shwo how you make things like these, and the product to come out of the designing/building. I confess that I need to put more of my stuff in there, as well!
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking." - George S. Patton.

Thanks as always, Em! I literally just cut squares out of a cardboard box and wrote numbers on them with a marker. Don't know why I didn't do it weeks ago.

On to turn 2. While I reloaded my RPG and missed again, I sent two commandos down to the woods to get the drop on anyone trying to advance on the hill.

The bad guys clambered out of their car and charged the hill, guns blazing. My mortar soldier fired at just the right moment, before the enemies got within his minimum distance and before they got too close to his comrades-in-arms. His shell blew them all away!

And then the HMG gunner in the stopped scout car started blowing his load. He scored 3 hits on the one guy he could see, but I saved him with the 3 save dice I was allowed to roll! That was too close!

Name:  20190209_132032.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  96.2 KB
    The cursed Americans go up in smoke!

Neil Thomas wrote that this scenario can be delightful, and it's not disappointing. I disappointed myself by not allowing the enemy to bring on 3 units in turn 1...oops. So on turn 3 I let them initiate and bring on another unit while I reinforced my guys with 2 units.

The scout car went offroading toward the hill, and its gunner took down my mortar soldier, mortar loader, and anti-tank soldier with some great shooting. That changed the tide of battle right away. The rest of my RPG team on the hill held strong, waiting for reinforcements.

And they came in the form of my militia-level LMG team, along with my platoon's leader. They ran toward the slowly moving car and shot down the machine gunner!

But just when it looked rosy again, the PDF's highly trained professional team entered from the south. They went up the road to intercept my command team instead of toward the hill (determined by dice roll). They shot down my leader and most of his team. My LMG gunner and loader hit the dirt (my LMG was saved because I forgot it was there!).

Then I brought on another militia team, hot on the heels of my command team. They managed to take down 1 professional as they headed toward the woods.

Finally, my 2 commandos sailed through the woods easily and took down another pro from cover.

At the end of the turn, only a 4-man pro team remained on the enemy side, besides the car driver. But turn 4 will see the rest of the enemy enter, and then I have to wait until turn 6 for the rest of my guys.

Name:  20190209_165524.jpg
Size:  97.3 KB
    Enemies at right, my guys at left near the woods. Also my 2 commandos at the right edge of the woods.
    Last edited by josta59; 02-09-2019 at 06:09 PM.

Man, this started out so well. In turn 4, a random event card caused my team by the woods to become demoralized, which made sense considering the pros that were advancing on them. They wouldn't rally. And then more and more enemies entered the table. My commandos took one down, but then the pro team swept through and killed every guy I had standing, including the one entrenched on the hill. My LMG gunner wouldn't rally.

Then their armored car drove up onto the objective hill.

Now there's a table full of Americans, and all I have on the table is a bunch of guys with zero morale. And they won't get reinforcements until turn 6. This is really bad

Name:  20190209_200743.jpg
Size:  92.8 KB
    The Americans sweep through like they own the place.
    Last edited by josta59; 02-10-2019 at 09:50 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast