Thread: Making a river

Making a river

I did some research and saw that someone made some nice rivers out of cloth, very simply and similar to how I made my roads, but with paint. My roads work great, so today I'll try to make a river.

I have the shirt I used for my roads, acrylic paints (thought I'd see what happens when I mix dark turqoise with coffee bean), scissors, a marker to draw it first and keep it around 2" wide, and I thought I'd try a toothbrush for painting since it's nice and wide, and precision isn't necessary here.

Name:  20190217_103020.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  94.0 KB

I found that the shirt is the exact length of my table, 30"...kind of funny. And for my next scenario I want a ford at the 24" point.

I free-handed one edge of the river with a marker, making it a bit twisty in places, and then I measured 2" across at several points so I can draw the other edge while keeping roughly the same width. At the 24" point, I made the edges come close together for a small distance.

Name:  20190217_105520.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  81.2 KB
    Last edited by josta59; 02-17-2019 at 01:47 PM.

Great color and texture. I think I'm going to be very happy with this.Name:  20190217_110516.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  82.6 KB

That went so well that I'm going to paint my roads, too, to make them look nicer. This was so easy.

Name:  20190217_111920.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  84.4 KB

Well, it didn't dry as pretty as I'd hoped, but it sure was easy. Once it was dry, I cut it out of the shirt and put it on the table. That's that. You can see one of my freshly painted roads, too.

Name:  20190217_133000.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  97.2 KB
    Last edited by josta59; 02-17-2019 at 04:03 PM.

Acrylics dry lighter than the look wet so, always add black (or a dark color) to the mix. It can take some trials and error

Nice work!
    "There is no off position on the Genius Switch”

Super Moderator
    There is a very good hobby site presented by an absolute lunatic called lloyd, it has some very simple and cheap terrain making projects along with all sorts of other stuff.

http://www.lloydianaspects.co.uk/index.html

If you go to Model Miniatures on the drop down menu on the left and then to Making Scenery on the next list you will find road and river making tips and all sorts of other stuff
    Always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor never the tormented.

Elie Wiesel.

Nobel Laureate and Holocaust survivor

Quote Originally Posted by Frank View Post
    There is a very good hobby site presented by an absolute lunatic called lloyd, it has some very simple and cheap terrain making projects along with all sorts of other stuff.

http://www.lloydianaspects.co.uk/index.html

If you go to Model Miniatures on the drop down menu on the left and then to Making Scenery on the next list you will find road and river making tips and all sorts of other stuff
    One of my favorite sites back when, nifty terrain ideas on the cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by Hagen View Post
    One of my favorite sites back when, nifty terrain ideas on the cheap.
    Agreed, and thanks for bumping that... I too had referenced them quite a bit awhile ago and kinda forgot about the site. It’s definitely a great resource.
    "There is no off position on the Genius Switch”