Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Hagen's 2021 Game Log

2021 begins with Strategy and Tactics game Hindenburg's War, Decision in the trenches, 1918. Finished set up and got through half of the first turn. Belgians were especially plucky.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

That looks like a great game! I like the artwork on the counters, especially the soldier vs NATI-style symbol, and the map looks amazing. Overall, I am always surprised how good S&T magazine games are, design and playability-wise.
    "Life begins at the end of your comfort zoneĒ

Going with Masuria, winter battle 1915. This is second game in a month.

The first time I played it you rolled for weather every turn however I remember the battle started in a snowstorm. So why roll for weather when you know what it was for that day. So I have dug out Pritt Butter's book Germany Ascendant 1915, and now I'm only half way through the chapter but what I have read is that they did indeed kick off in the middle of a snowstorm (Feb 7) and that the following day had to fight through snow drifts as high as a man. The same for Feb 11 and 12 followed the next day by even higher drifts.

As for the two German Corps the 8th and 10th only the 8th started their attack on the 7th with the tenth starting the following day. (Feb 8).

So what I have done is I'm going with the historical weather instead of rolling for weather. Also because drifts were so high the following day I'm reducing movement by 1 for that turn. I also held back 10 Corps on the first turn and only 8th Corps attacked. I feel I have added a bit more historical feel to the game.

Trying to get a handle on First Team Vietnam, a solitaire game on the 1st Cav. In the Ia Drang Valley in Nov 1965. Game put out by Wargamers Magazine. I have made it about half way through turn one.

Looks kind of fun!

Quote Originally Posted by josta59 View Post
    Looks kind of fun!
    I'm hoping so! This is my first totally solitaire game and that may be part of my learning problem. The rules were a bit hard to follow to begin with so someone at bgg rewrote them, they are clearer but I'm still hung up in a few spots.

Two rolls both pass their efficiency roll bringing the whole of the 32 Regiment of the People's Army of North Vietnam onto the board.

They take the road junction of Zone A just outside of Cambodia.

The Americans are just up the road at Special Forces camp at Duc Co in Zone D.

No contact in turn 1 means no combat for either side so that one went by fast.

Turn 2 command phase reveals no more LZ's so I send another 4 Companies to the SF camp at Plei Me.

20 command points per turn and I just burned up 15. We shall see

Intelligence phase ID's the NVA 33 Regiment again these are in Zone A so they are moved from the Unknown box into the Area A box in the Zone Display chart. This means the Americans know the 33rd is somewhere in Zone A on the map but their exact where abouts in that zone are not known at this time. In other words they haven't made contact yet.

Very cool... Vietnam games seem to be making a bigger splash in the wargaming scene. Some really spectacular titles.
    "Life begins at the end of your comfort zoneĒ

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast