Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    A few pics from my most recent scenario from Rock of the Marne by MMP.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Setup for Rock of the Marne scenario, I will have played all the single scenarios (3) when I'm through with this one leaving only the campaign game left to play.

Stormtroopers throw two assault bridges across the Marne. Game, Rock of the Marne, scenario of the same name. This finishes the third of the three smaller scenarios. 2 are pretty much German blowouts with the third being a slugfest. Now to see what the campaign game is like.

I’m following this with interest, as I’d won a copy of this at a convention a few years ago. I believe it’s still in the shrink wrap!!! I figure it will be the most likely entry into WWI gaming for me. How are those maps… are the folds problematic at all?
    "Life begins at the end of your comfort zoneĒ

I like the map and the counters. At spots though its easy to miss a counter as they can blend in a little bit. But this is more a problem of getting used to the game. Map folds are always problematic to me but I put the clear sheet from a poster frame over it. Drives me crazy even seeing a counter looking like its cresting a wave on the great lakes.

My mistake at first with this game was listening to others saying how it's just a basic game without much chrome, well they are right and wrong at the same time. There may not be much in the way of chrome but there are some twists and turns to the basic rules of wargaming to pay attention to if you want to get the most out of this game. Germans are the only side that has individual MG counters but have no attack value they do however add 1 to the defense of the unit it's stacked with plus a -1 column shift on the crt. Terrain is cumulative for movement but only uses highest terrain modifier on attack. For some reason I have a hard time remembering HQ's, both Corp and Army can add a positive shift to the attacker on the crt, as long as they are within range. Sometimes I catch myself and sometimes, for whatever reason I forget it. Armor is unique in that after you use it on attack or defense you flip it to it's used side and get it back to HQ for refit but even though it's on it's expended side it can still attack and defend at it's full strength it just cannot use its exploitation movement on the attack to exploit any retreats, and possibly attack yet again the same unit it chased after. There are more examples that I will let you discover for yourself though.

From the campaign game. After Stormtroopers get an assault bridge over the Marne River French aircraft knock it out effectively stranding the Stormtroopers on one side and the HQ unit on the other.

Both sides can only cross the Marne River at bridges and only Stormtroopers can place assault bridges. The stranded S.Troopers may have to go back and reestablish the bridge at this point, the bridge at Chateau Thierry is close but that part of the front is not even in play yet for another couple of turns. The bridges connected to roads marked on the map cannot be knocked out.

A few more pics from the campaign game. Note my trusty red pointer toothpick and also that Reims has fallen in the last.pic.

That’s a lot to keep track of… or so it seems, lol. Seriously a snazzy looking game!

The Germans prepare to attack.

Looks fearsome! …and ferocious! I’m really going to have to get some play time with my copy… I believe it’s still in shrink! I’ve just been spending so much time with ASL Starter Kit 1 of late.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567