Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    The layout’s Yard got an Engine House, situated on two inner spur tracks. See here for the build thread for the structure. My layouts first building! I have to admit, bulldog a model is a lot easier than scratch building a structure, and I may buy a few more in time, but I like the options available to me if I just do my own...we’ll see how I do.

Whereas the Engine House holds the track snug in place, I’ve been researching the best way to secure it to the layout foundation so that the different sections don’t move while the trains traverse the lines. KATO Unitrack actually comes with little round tube-like nubs on both sides of each section of track, in the underside, and you can insert a drill bit inside and drill out above the track’s roadbed, between the sleepers (the railroad ties). You can then use track pins, which are delicate nails that can be hammered down into the foundation board to hold the track in place. As my layout foundation is foam board, I am not sure how effective that would be...I would think the nail pins would just come loose easily... plus, I don’t want to drill a shitload of track sections!

My alternative is, Blue Tack museum putty! I tried it in some spots and it works perfectly. I rolled a small wad ball of it and placed it under some track sections, pushing the track down into it. At first try, it’s doing what was intended, so I’ll check it out over the weeks and see how it holds before doing the whole layout.
    "Life begins at the end of your comfort zoneĒ

Looks nice! I think you are onto something with the Blue Tack vs nailing it down, it would come loose with time in foam board.

Quote Originally Posted by Hagen View Post
    Looks nice! I think you are onto something with the Blue Tack vs nailing it down, it would come loose with time in foam board.
    Thanks, Mike... yes indeed on the nails coming loose from a foam base. The other side of that coin is, I’d have to drill holes in the track ties and that’s not something I want to readily jump into! The museum putty is holding great... I peeked the other night at my test areas and the track hasn’t risen or anything. I’ll be adding the putty as I work on the same area for scenery additions.

Kato N Scale GE ES44AC GEVO Locomotive CSX, #5250

Just ordered this locomotive tonight...

Five pole motor with dual brass flywheels (all-wheel electrical pickup), with magnetic couples. I like these KATO couplers so far... they hold together well and disengage very nicely manually. I may switch out to Micro-Trains couplers in the future, but for now these are fine...may even stick with them! Anyway, this locomotive runs on DC, but comes DCC ready for a decoder...thatís a nice added benefit! Iím not sure my CNs came that way, in fact.

The reason I got this locomotive in particular is, it runs/ran in my area... Palmer, Massachusetts. CSX Transportation is a Class I railroad, operating a freight railroad system that connects every major metropolitan area in the Eastern United States. It also links more than 240 short-line railroads and more than 70 ocean, river and lake ports.

CSX owns and operates the east-west rail corridor that runs through downtown Springfield.
    In the Pioneer Valley, which I live in, CSX interchanges freight traffic with the New England Central Railroad in Palmer...just a few minutes from my house... as well as Pan Am Railways in Springfield, and the Pioneer Valley Railroad in Westfield. CSX provides freight rail service to a number of local customers in and around Springfield.
    CSX also operates a large railroad classification yard in West Springfield.

Hereís a similar locomotives....

ďCSX Local at PalmerĒ By Thomas J. Nanos | February 7, 2012
    Source: Flickr /
    https://flic.kr/p/bqR8fX

Nice looking locomotive, lovely paint scheme!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234