Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank View Post
    I have just picked up 12, 13, 14 and am part way through 12, and it is a knightmare !!!

I should never have left it as long between books as I did, I think to start with I spent 1/2 the time searching the " cast of characters" secion at the end.
    So that book throws the readers into the world, assuming they've read previous books? That's a great way to severely limit your audience and therefore your earning potential.

As a new author myself, I wouldn't want to do that to my readers anyway. For just the reason you mentioned. They might want to read other things for a year and then read one of my books again. What an absurd choice.

Super Moderator
    It is not actually as bad as it seems. Yes, there is quite a bit of checking the characters list but when you think that this was the 12th book in the series and the world it is set on seems to be a one way nexus to several other worlds,then, if you are in the middle of a world war you have to keep bringing new characters in to replace dead ones and to let the plot expand.

So far we have had the original US and Japanese ships from early war, with another Japanese POW transport from later war. Already on world are the good guys, Lemurians, with their actuall names and in quite a few instances nick names given them by the Americans and the bad guys, Griks. We also have Victorian British, Inquisition Spanish, a mid war Fascist fleet from an alterative timeline and several others.

I agree that this is a series best read from the beginning but it is well worth it.

Book 10.

Lost Cause, by Rachel Lynch.

Another good book in this series, it is very out of sequence , number 8 , but that did not really matter.

https://www.goodreads.com/series/224100-di-kelly-porter

Book 11.

Devils Due, by Taylor Anderson.

Another very good book in this great series. As mentioned before there is a large character list that took some time getting used to but it was well worth it.

https://www.goodreads.com/series/54474-destroyermen
    Always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor never the tormented.

Elie Wiesel.

Nobel Laureate and Holocaust survivor

Super Moderator
    Book 12.

River of Bones, by Taylor Anderson.

This is the 13th book in this great series and things are getting tense. I have the next book ready to read then there is just one more projected book in the series

https://www.goodreads.com/series/54474-destroyermen
    Always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor never the tormented.

Elie Wiesel.

Super Moderator
    Book 13.

Pass of fire, by Taylor Anderson.

This is the 14th book in this series and things are definitely coming to a conclusion.

See the above post for series information.

Still seems to be just 1 more book after this which I will be keeoing an eye out for.

Elie Wiesel.

WOW, he really churned those out! I got to about book six or seven before sidetracking away from the series. I hope Chack (sp?) is doing OK! It really was a wide-ranging plot...I’m glad you could stick with it. I may swing back to it, but I worry how much I forgot.
    "Life begins at the end of your comfort zoneĒ

Super Moderator
    There have been quite a few central characters bite the dust, I mean, we are not talking Red Wedding type amounts, but still quite a few. When I restated I found a bit of a problem getting into things again, mainly all the names, and there have been some interesting new factions apear since your last book but it is well worth it to get into it again.

Elie Wiesel.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank View Post
    There have been quite a few central characters bite the dust, I mean, we are not talking Red Wedding type amounts, but still quite a few. When I restated I found a bit of a problem getting into things again, mainly all the names, and there have been some interesting new factions apear since your last book but it is well worth it to get into it again.
    That was one of the harder bits of the books for me... a LOT of characters! Honestly, it’s more about trying to remember the characters and their dynamics that scared me away fro pm restarting, more than the storyline; the later of which canned course more than a destroyer without a wheel!

Great analogy in the Red Wedding! I’m on Season 7 of Game of Thrones... I never saw 8, so I’m looking forward to finally seeing how everything resolved...though, I heard tons of people hated the ending. No spoilers please!
    "Life begins at the end of your comfort zoneĒ

Super Moderator
    Sorry to take so long getting back to you mate.

In the penultimate book, Pass of Fire there were 13 pages of characters though quite loosely spaced so not as bad as it sounds, and they are all grouped under the ship they are in or the theatre of operations so it is a pretty fast thing to look people up.

Having said that, if you can get a few lined up and ready to go it does save you some time.

Elie Wiesel.

Super Moderator
    I have really been getting behind on updates, so here goes.

Book 14.

Bold Lies, by Rachel Lynch.

Another good book in this series, and again one that I picked up in a remainders book chain, The Works. I now have 4 of the 8 published so far and I am keeping my eyes open for the rest.

https://www.goodreads.com/series/224100-di-kelly-porter

Book 15.

The Dirty South, by John Connolly.

I was hesitant to buy this at first as this is one of the best series I have ever read and a prequel does not always work well as I have seen with other series. I had no need to worry, it was a bit strange remembering that none of the previous books had happened yet, but it is still a great book and one of the best I have read lately. It is listed as book 18.

https://www.goodreads.com/series/42499-charlie-parker

Elie Wiesel.

Super Moderator
    On a bit of an historical theme at the moment.

Book 16.

Pharaoh, by Wilber Smith.

I have gone off Smith a bit in recent years as he seems to be changing focus to more modern times, but this is another good book in a good series.

https://www.goodreads.com/series/64283-ancient-egypt

Book 17.

The Emperor`s Exile, by Simon Scarrow.

Another great book in the series which does admit that the heros are getting older and circumstances are changing, and, what direction the next book will go in is anyone`s guess. This is book 19 in this particular series.

https://www.goodreads.com/series/41356-eagle

Elie Wiesel.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast