Thread: Mounting maps

Mounting maps

I see folks saying they mount their own maps, anyone know how they do this?

I’ve never done it before, and from what I’ve read, it’s a scary process that either works beautifully, or causes some amount of grief. It also depends on the size map, of course...bigger, harder. The best tutorial I’ve found is here.
    "Life begins at the end of your comfort zoneĒ

Quote Originally Posted by Whiterook View Post
    I’ve never done it before, and from what I’ve read, it’s a scary process that either works beautifully, or causes some amount of grief. It also depends on the size map, of course...bigger, harder. The best tutorial I’ve found is here.
    Well, that ends that! Thanks Em

Quote Originally Posted by Hagen View Post
    Well, that ends that! Thanks Em
    HA! Sorry to burst your bubble, Mike! Honestly, I think there may be other methods that might be a little less painful, but I’d rather put the time and pain into a method that I k ow will give a professional look.

Now what I thought of later in the evening last night was, you could bring it down to a printer and they probably could do something for you. I did that once at a Kinkos, with a map the size of a Lock ‘n Load map, but they gave me a hassle over copyright...I sweet talked the girl into finally doing the job for me, though.
    "Life begins at the end of your comfort zoneĒ

Gave it a quick look. I am pretty sure I know the process except how they fix the map(s) to the boards. There are a few ways including spray glues, adhesive sheets and laminating direct onto the board. Thinking about it I think using 1/8" or so MDF for the "hard" part of the board as opposed to illustration board. I used to use illustration board (matt board actually) back in the day to make my own counters. You could get a wide range of colours (looking now the range of colours seems much narrower and less colourful nowadays) and a couple thicknesses. I also used white ink in my technical drafting pens. I could also get a few colours back in the day like blue, brown and red in addition to black. Made making your own counters viable. Nowadays you would make up the counter sheet(s) in some form of paint program, glue them to the illustration board then cut them out. Unlimited colours, graphics, choose your size and on and on.

My maps stand a better chance of surviving if I just drop this idea. Although I have thought of having my In The Trenches maps laminated, they are, (except one, there's always one isn't there) the size of a standard sheet of paper with most having maps on both sides. I'm worried though that they may not lay flat.