Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Campaign idea using video game missions

Hi, all. Wasn't sure where to put this in the forum, but I suppose it's a wargame component. It's sort of an idea for a campaign that I might try.

Though I'm not much of a video gamer, I've always liked the idea of Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon franchise of video games. I actually bought and played Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter many years ago, and it ended up being one of my main reasons for looking into wargaming. It's one of the reasons I like playing at the platoon level, which led to me finding the Firepower board game, which I'm still using as inspiration for my miniatures wargames now. When I first started making virtual maps for miniatures games, before I made a physical board and bought physical miniatures, I was often using GRAW maps as inspiration.

I also read the first two novels in the Ghost Recon series, so I'm familiar with the characters.

Video gamers are a little crazy, so every detail of every mission of that old video game is in a wiki, because of course. So there's tons of inspiration for scenarios there. And since it's all laid out as multiple missions in a larger storyline, it's an instant campaign. And I like that each scenario includes multiple objectives, making it like minigames within each game.

This would be perfect for a Force on Force player, because both GRAW and FOF are all about small forces going on big missions. I'm kind of surprised I haven't seen FOF players using video game walkthroughs for their campaigns. FOF is a bit crazy for me, so I would use my simpler rules, such as my new Fireteam Firepower rules.

To add some artificial intelligence to these games, I would use the contact marker rules for solo gaming from FiveCore 3rd edition (Nordic Weasel Games), with a few modifications (see below). This is similar to other solo rules such as Two Hour Wargames, where potential enemies move around on the table before they are contacted, and then they're resolved randomly as some kind of enemy force, or nothing at all. FiveCore puts some nice thinking into this idea.

All that said, here's what the first scenario would potentially look like.

Scenario 1: Contact! (source: https://ghostrecon.fandom.com/wiki/Contact!)

Situation
    A Nicaraguan paramilitary group has stolen Guardrail IX, a multifunction U.S. military black-ops communication asset. Captain Scott Mitchell is sent into Mexico City, Mexico to rendezvous with SFC Joe Ramirez, who was sent in on a recon mission to eavesdrop on an important meeting between Nicaraguan rebels while they sell the Guardrail IX device to Carlos Ontiveros, the leader of Mexico's Aquila 7 special forces unit and the son of General Ontiveros, the man behind the current coup in Mexico.

Mission objectives
    While the U.S. president is signing a security agreement with the Mexican president, your team is sent to the suburbs of Mexico City, arriving via Black Hawk. Your orders are to neutralize the paramilitary group involved in the theft of Guardrail IX.

Game objectives
    1: Contact Ramirez (successful on a d6 roll of 4-6).
    2: Move to Rally Point.
    3: Locate Ramirez using a UAV (will be located on a d6 roll of 4-6). Randomly determine which building he is trapped in.
    4: Reach Ramirez. Apache support will be provided.
    5: Extract with Ramirez via Black Hawk.

U.S. Army force
    1 fireteam with SAW and RPG. Receives 3 chits per turn.

Enemy force
    At game start and each time a game objective is completed, a contact marker will be placed either randomly or in a spot that makes sense for the game story. Markers will move 3" toward your team when activated. Markers will be resolved when line of sight is established. Roll 1d10 to resolve:

1: Marker is removed.
    2: Marker is moved 3" in a random direction. If still in sight, roll again.
    3-7: Marker resolves as an infantry team of 3 figures. Roll 1d6. With a roll of 1-4, it is a rifle team. With a 5, it includes an LMG. With a 6, it includes an RPG.
    8: Marker resolves as a vehicle. Roll 1d6. With a roll of 1, it is a technical with HMG. With a 2, it is an unarmed armored car. With a 3-6, it is an AFV.
    9: Marker is removed. Place 2 new markers 6" behind it, out of sight if possible.
    10: Marker resolves as an infantry team of 3 figures. Roll 1d6 to resolve as above. Place a new marker 6" behind it, out of sight if possible.

Enemy force receives 2 chits per turn.
    Last edited by josta59; 04-21-2021 at 05:52 PM.

Great idea. I hadn't thought about using video games in this manner. My kids love them but I can't play computer games. I have come to realize, like almost all of my hobbies, it is the social interaction in the hobby is 50% of the interest for me. My younger was playing a rebels (not Star Wars rebels, just not military forces but on earth) vs invading aliens game once which looked like I could hijack the concept from. Never went anywhere.

I like the random AI concept. Ambush Alley, from which Force on Force was developed, hasn't felt "ambushy" enough, as my son has stated, and I have to agree so I have been searching around for ways to make it more dangerous. This has potential, thank you.

One question is how do you play out the initial contact Ramirez as a game though?

Quote Originally Posted by madman View Post
    One question is how do you play out the initial contact Ramirez as a game though?
    Good question. I've only halfway thought that through. I'm thinking, put my force and the contact marker on the table at the start. Draw chits. If a U.S. chit comes up, roll for contact with Ramirez. If successful, put another contact marker on the table! When enemy chits come up, move them until contact is made. So the first objective is simple, but the more objectives they complete, the more enemies they'll potentially face. It'll feel a lot like the video game, I think. I never got very far past this first mission, ha ha!

Contact with Ramirez

Have 6 markers on the table. One is Ramirez, a couple are the Mexican Federales and one is the Nicaraguans. The rest are dummies. Every turn they move towards the agent. When contacted flip over to reveal true identity and prosecute contact as appropriate. The remainder will still be closing on the agent.

Ramirez is trying to be contacted while the Federales are trying to eliminate him and/or Mitchell.

The Nicaraguans are trying to meet with the Mexicans and avoid Mitchell or Ramirez. Have to be some way to handle them, say Ramirez knows the procedure the Feds will be using to meet the Nicaraguans and is mimicking that to draw them in.

If Ramirez is contacted first, maybe something to allow ID from a distance, say within X distance, then the plan succeeds big win, proceed to next mission. If Ramirez is contacted at some point minor win for US side, start next mission. If the agent and/or Ramirez is eliminated loose for US side and scenario(s) end or start with alternative first mission.

There should be some mechanism to ID Ramirez before contact or help guide him in. Radio contact or small surveillance drone feeding intel to him he can trust.

If the Federales eliminate either then they will get the Guardrail IX. Then it either becomes an embarrassment for the US or the asset is no longer worth retrieving. Or it has to be eliminated.

If the Nicaraguans are contacted then there is a chance to retrieve it, and possibly get intel on the rogue Nicaraguans. Bonus. If they are spooked, contact without combat, then they leave with the goods and they may be intercepted creating other scenarios.

Quickly read the five core solo rules section. May be useful. I will have to study it in detail and slower before I decide.

Just looked at the Ghost Recon wiki and it appears this entire scenario is one thing not multiple scenarios.
    Last edited by madman; 04-21-2021 at 08:21 PM.

Holy headache, Batman! It's funny how, even though you and I like very similar types of games, I'm always trying to simplify things while you're always trying to complicate them!

Notice that this is the first game in a campaign. The campaign story was already written by someone else, which is why I'm interested in using it! You don't have to do all the things at once, you madman.

Quote Originally Posted by josta59 View Post
    Holy headache, Batman! It's funny how, even though you and I like very similar types of games, I'm always trying to simplify things while you're always trying to complicate them!
    You would state this as the scenario rules. Seriously I am looking at this as potential for my scenarios so that is why the detailed interest. That and there exists no way to game it yet, this is my take on how to handle it. You might do it on the fly while I would want to nail some game mechanics and victory conditions down.

Notice that this is the first game in a campaign. The campaign story was already written by someone else, which is why I'm interested in using it! You don't have to do all the things at once, you madman.
    According to the wiki site the next scenario involves taking down the coup participants. I took this as the first step in a series of scenarios to deal with the Guardrail IX. Just figured if both the Mexicans and the Nicaraguans were present on the table the potential was there to deal with both and if so then recovery of the goods seemed likely.

I have the map from the wiki still up, do you know what the zones are supposed to represent?

https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/gh...20200702090009

I see. Interesting.

Well, my life is already pretty complicated, so I'm just going to do what the website says and enjoy myself!

The zones on the map are probably where the different game objectives take place. I don't have enough buildings to replicate the map, so my table will be much simpler. I might do some indoor stuff to provide more hiding places, cover, and twists and turns.

The zones on the map are probably where the different game objectives take place. I don't have enough buildings to replicate the map, so my table will be much simpler. I might do some indoor stuff to provide more hiding places, cover, and twists and turns.
    I have been buying small houses as the scenarios I have been playing from Ambush Alley and Battlespace are based on Afghanistan and the layouts are mostly made of groupings of connected buildings making compounds. I can't do that but substitute small groups of small houses to represent something of the ilk. I was going to pick up a bunch of larger factories but thought better of it. So what is this scenario made up of, one guess! Gives me an excuse to pick up more buildings.

I like the idea of breaking many of them down into interior spaces. I played a sci fi game, when we could have club meetings, which had terrain made from printed cardboard walls and floors connected into really neat interior spaces. I can't for the life of me remember what the game is called now but the idea of many parts you assemble into different layouts for various scenarios would be great here. Of course it was scaled for 28mm (or bigger(?) minis, not 15mms. But the concept still holds. I just bought a bunch of thin foam core (I think it is 4mm while it was supposed to be 2.5 but what the heck) so may look for wall and deck images, print and paste and away I go. They also made consoles, chairs, and various objects which would occupy space.

I just played turn 1 of the scenario above. It went slowly, since it's my first time using these new rules, and I'm using a new type of scenario. But when the first contact marker resolved, it felt like playing a video game with an unknown enemy coming around a corner and shooting at me. Pretty fun! I haven't had quite that feeling in a miniatures game in a while.

I just played turn 1 of the scenario above. It went slowly, since it's my first time using these new rules, and I'm using a new type of scenario. But when the first contact marker resolved, it felt like playing a video game with an unknown enemy coming around a corner and shooting at me. Pretty fun! I haven't had quite that feeling in a miniatures game in a while.
    Are you using Firepower or something else? Glad it worked for you. I will be watching. BTW I have 5 core and looked over the solo rules. Lots more there than I thought. Have to review it again. Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast