Nuklear Winter ‘68, 1st Edition (better quality rules)

This is a copy of the 1st edition rules, in much better white-background print, directly from the designer of the game.

Lock ‘N Load Publishing printed the rulebook with black type on a super-dark background... gamers were incensed! I pulled them out yesterday and was like, ‘...oh crap...I forgot!’ Luckily, the game designer felt the same way and put this version together!

NW68_rules_bw.pdf

I really like this game a lot! The Valkyrie dude, Claus von Staffenberg succeeds in killing Hitler... Himmler takes over... US nukes West Germany... Nazi’s go underground in bunkers and re-emerge in 1968 in The Zone (walled off nuke zone) to mutants and a powerful NATO. HA!

Currently available in a second edition at Lock ‘N Load Publishing, I think that new edition sucks compared to my first edition, but it’s super cheap in Zippie form at LNLP currently. Do yourself a favor...hunt down and pay the cost for the first edition game and first edition expansion of Heart of Darkness!

Player Aids…

Name:  NW68 playaid A.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  98.3 KB

Name:  NW68 playaid B.jpg
Views: 10
Size:  97.7 KB
    "Life begins at the end of your comfort zone”

We had so much fun playing that on the forum years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by josta59 View Post
    We had so much fun playing that on the forum years ago.
    Yes, I totally agree! ...it was one of the best ones I’d been a part of!!! It has such a neat premise, as mentioned above. But even beyond that, it had very nice mechanics. A friend of mine bought the new 2nd edition and wants to play... we”re going to try and play at Chuck Tewksbury’s Garage Barage (a guy from Massachusetts who hosts monthly gaming sessions).

I’ve been doing some reading on the game, trying to determine if the 2nd edition changed much... the rules appear to be the same, mostly, but the counters and maps are not as nice as the original 1st edition. But while I was looking for information on any changes, I noted that the one perceived flaw was in mines: As I remember it, that was how Hamster Girl won the game... by surrounding herself in a victory hex, with a ring of mines that we had to basically suicide run into to try and take the hex.

Apparently, the Expansion game, “Heart of Darkness” reclassifies mines, sandbags, OBA, etc., as auxiliary units. These are bought with supply points and kept in a pool. A unit with an engineering skill (like the Sappers unit), or a regular unit with an assigned equipment marker (like the Sappers Tool marker), that isn't marked as Finished, can activate and attempt to pass a Skill test. If successfully past, it can place a mine or sandbag, from the pool, in its currently occupied or an adjacent hex. It is then marked as finished.

So, no more runaway mine placement. A very limited number of units with a limited supply of mines etc, remedies a very powerful and unbalanced mechanic of a 'situation changer' from the first game.

You're saying that's a good change, right? I was confused at first, since you said "the once perceived flaw was in mines." I'm guessing you meant that was a flaw in the first edition. This new method sounds pretty cool.

Quote Originally Posted by josta59 View Post
    You're saying that's a good change, right? I was confused at first, since you said "the once perceived flaw was in mines." I'm guessing you meant that was a flaw in the first edition. This new method sounds pretty cool.
    Sorry for the confusing verbiage...

Yes, the change was a very good change. Basically, I. The original 1st edition core game, you could lay mines in your hex or alone adjacent hex on every activation of the unit laying it, every turn... and, if your same unit activates more than one time per turn, you can lay a minefield for each of those activations (I can’t remember when multiple activations happen for a unit, LOL). So that basically let a unit, over a series of activations lay a mine counter in a hex )one per hex), building a huge theoretical perimeter around a victory (or important) hex.

The 1st edition expansion, Heart of Darkness corrected that ‘flaw’ by limiting mine laying...I think by only certain units and maybe under specific conditions? I’ll post when I figure it out. And I used the word ‘flaw’ liberally, because many gamers felt this original method of many units being able to place a buttload of minefields over several (unlimited number of times) activations as an unfair Stacking of the Deck situation. It created unbalance. I agree with that.

it’s also a little unrealistic, IMHO, that just about anyone could successfully lay minefields! It’s not like placing Easter eggs in the house for the kiddies!

Ha ha! Well, I'll have to take your word for that.